You’ve seen gravatars that look pretty cool and you’ve seen far too many that scream “I’m generic because I still don’t understand all this web stuff!”
So why should you care?
Having an avatar other than the basic, auto-generated graphic, next to your name boosts legitimacy and can ramp up your web traffic.
Wondering how to make it happen?
Here’s how you do it:
- Go to Gravitar.com
- Click “sign up now”
- Type in your email, then click “sign up”.
- You’ll receive and email with an activation link (click it).
- Pick a username and password.
- Add an image by clicking the “add image” link. Gravitar can then pull images from your computer, the web or a webcam attached to your computer.
- Choose “file” and find the graphic you want to use on your computer.
- Crop the image until you’re satisfied with the final appearance. Remember, this is how you’ll be instantly judged, so invest a little time in your choice or hire a pro.
- When asked to rate your avatar, select “G” (unless you want to risk being blocked). And make double sure it’s a G-rated avatar or you’ll lose credibility.
- Your comments on blogs (which you’ll surely make, right!) and forums all over the web will have your unique stamp… your custom avatar.
And c’est ‘voila – you’re head and shoulders, or whatever else you put in your avatar, will stand out from the madding crowd.
All the best and welcome to the next level of the web,